The High Altar Candlesticks, known by the servers as “The Big Six”, form part of the patrimony of the parish. You may be surprised to learn that they were made here in Brisbane by F J Mole.
In Archbishop Duhig’s time, with the numbers of churches he was building (and needing to furnish!) shipping items from Europe proved expensive and time consuming. So he turned to a local silversmith F J Mole. In 1923, the Archbishop approached and convinced F J Mole to manufacture ecclesiastical requisites for churches. F J Mole then set to work not only designing the items, but even making the tools he would require.
Over time, our Big Six Candlesticks naturally deteriorated and it was time for them to be refurbished. We were pleased to be able to turn to the same company, F J Mole, who made the candles decades ago, to refurbish them for us.
These items form part of the patrimony of the parish that contribute to the glory given to God at the liturgy, forming part of the whole that is the beauty which lifts our hearts and minds to God, and manifesting our belief to give our best, and the primary place in our lives, to God.